Oh, the dreaded question from the mildly curious family member on the holidays…
In a given week I might say this:
- Analytics Set up
- Clean up online membership and other type of databases.
- Conversion of documents into PDFs
- Content Management Software training
- Custom DNS Management
- Explain what Internet service related offers received by email or postal mail are legitimate, and which are bad ideas or worse.
- Graphics and logo design
- Images research and acquisition
- Internet Payment Gateway/shopping cart administration/changes
- Member account administration/cleanup
- Monitor client’s visibility on search engines and social media.
- Renew domains, server subscriptions, software as a service subscriptions
- Research and register new domains
- Research online software options for various client applications
- Server lease management
- Set up and fix email boxes, forwards, autoresponders, etc.
- Set up videos on appropriate servers
- Social Media and Email Coaching
- Social Media setup
- Social Media maintenance
- Subdomains, MX records, A Records, C Names…
- Transfer domains from one registrar to another
- Troubleshoot mailserver graylisting/blacklisting issues, both recipient and sender
- Troubleshoot plug-in applications after application software “upgrades” change output or useability of application.
- Web site analytics research and review
But the good general answer is “Update web content, layouts, scripts, software… and oh yeah, entire web site design/redesign.” Keeps my explanation and the childhood boredom to a minimum.